Tuesday, January 16, 2018

My Experience in Google Code-In with SCoRe



Hi!

Please introduce yourself and tell us your experience with contributing to Open Source   





Greetings, my name is Azis Naufal. I’m a student from Vocational High School 4 in Bandung, Indonesia. My age is now 18, and I’m on the 12 th grade. This year is the year that I will graduate from my school and continue to college. In my school, I have learned programming since 10 th grade. Before I got into the Vocational High School, I have once created a program using bash shell scripting, but failed because I didn’t understand. My method of learning is that, that I have to be guided. I can’t learn programming without a mentor or learning it all by myself.
There’s not much of my contribution to the Open Source. My first contribution is only through Google Code-in with an organization called SCoRe. I don’t remember my first assignment when I did Pull Request (PR) to this organization. However, I did assignment that is related to Android Studio. My passion lies there (Mobile Engineer – Android).

How you contributed to SCoRe while GCI, what you did and everything you learned?

       I wasn’t being mentored by anyone for my contribution to SCoRe while GCI for the first time. I was just applying what I have learned at school or self-taught to do the assignments. But when I entered becoming leaderboard, I was invited to Goodle Code-in Indonesia’s Telegram group. There, I was told to socialize through the chatting platform that they are using. SCoRe use Gitter for their chatting platform. After I’m socializing there, I’m doing my assignments more comfortably because there’s people who mentored me. I don’t become too confused when I was facing difficulties. 
       Here, I learned many things. Starting from the newest technology about Server-Side scripting, Client-Side scripting, Python, Flask, MongoDB, Project Management with Git and many more. I’m certain that the things that I have learned here can be used for my beloved country, so that the technology is more efficient and doesn’t use too many resources. And I’m also certain that what I have learned can be useful at college or work for a company and social society.

How was your experience with SCoRe and SCoRe mentors?

          My experiences with SCoRe is really good. Mentor in the organization is really kind to Google Code-in participant who knows nothing. They always helped me when I was facing difficulties by guiding me to solve problems like being next to me and paying attention to my computer that was having problems and until the problem is solved. Culture/Attitude like this needs to be spread to others, because it helps the community.

Will you continue to contribute to SCoRe and to the open source community and why?


      
I want to continue to contribute at SCoRe and other open source community. But I don’t know for sure. In Indonesia, college is really hectic. So it’s kind of difficult to find free time to contribute to SCoRe and other open source community. If I have enough time, I will, so that I can still contribute. Any final remarks


Can you tell us about all the projects you contributed?


Ah yes, I contributed on a few projects there. I contributed on these projects; Bassa, NodeCloud, Kute, Soundcom, and D4D. I will explain it in detail one-by-one.
 
      * Bassa  
      First, I was having trouble when I want to import mysql database that they provided. Therefore, I tried to fix it by myself. And it worked. Then I checked the .sql file that they provided. Yes, the .sql file they provided had a bug. Then I created a issue on their GitHub project ( https://github.com/scorelab/Bassa/issues/260) then I created a Pull Request so that the project can be better. ( https://github.com/scorelab/Bassa/pull/261 ).
      And second, where I was successful applying this project. I was interested in a assignment called "Add a removed feature in Completed downloads page.". I claimed the assignment then did it really seriously. And succeded. First I thought that they wanted to delete the user, it turns out that they only wanted to block the user. Then I fixed the feature that I created. ( https://github.com/scorelab/Bassa/pull/341 ). 

      * NodeCloud
      In this project, I did not do a lot of contribution. I only did "[Nodecloud] Create a Git Pre Commit Hook to run ESLint" and "[NodeCloud] Fix Linting errors in NodeCloud” . On the first assignment, I learned that git can be manipulated by your own using commit hook. Then on the second one, I learned how important a beautifully written code is. Where period, space, comma is really affecting the aesthetic of a coding. 

       * Kute
      There’s an interesting story here. Kute is my first assignment that I did on this scorelab organization. Because I was really interested with Android Studio. Where I was doing a project called "[Kute] Run Kute Android app on your device or emulator", "[Kute] Add a Splash Screen for Kute App", "[Kute] Improve the existing Sign-In UI", and "[Kute] Make a meaningful pull request". When I was doing the splash screen assignment and improve the existing Sign-In UI. I did not that know that I have to differentiate branch to contribute on a open source project. So I did the two assignments on the same branch, the ‘master’ branch. You can see it here https://github.com/scorelab/kute/pull/91 . Then, after I was done with the “Improve the existing Sign-In UI”, I was busy doing the other assignments.
      After a while doing other assignments. I returned to the Kute project. Then did the assignment that created a Pull Request. Because I was away from the project for a while, I had to re-new the local project that is on my computer. I didn’t like with the changes. Because of the ‘Force Close’ and the messy layout structure. Then I intended to fix all of that, then created 3 Pull Request all at once on 1 assignment. https://github.com/scorelab/kute/pull/124 , https://github.com/scorelab/kute/pull/122 , and https://github.com/scorelab/kute/pull/120 . It was really tiring. 

      * Soundcom
      In this project, I only did 2. Because Soundcom is planning to change to ReactNative technology. Meanwhile, I’m not really good with Javascript. I only did "[Soundcom] Add Splash Screen to Soundcom App" and "[Soundcom] Redesign activity_main.xml". Like Kute project, in here I still didn’t know how to create a Pull Request to contribute on the open source project. If you want to see what I did, click this link https://github.com/scorelab/soundcom/pull/19 . P.S. I only understood Git for open source when I was doing the Bassa project. 

       *D4D  
       In this, the assignment that I did is really easy. You must already know the icon that is beside the text tab that is usually found on a browser. It’s called Favicon. You can look it up on the internet if you’re curious. Yes, I only placed a Favicon on this project. You can see my work here https://github.com/scorelab/D4D---Drone-4-Dengue/pull/29 

2 comments:

  1. nice to hear your experience :)

    love your quote "Be a tree with lots of fruits. Because the fruits can provide benefits to other people."

    all the best for the days to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate.
      but, i need to remove that quote :'

      Delete